Saturday, October 8, 2011

$30 picture ---> $400 couch

I was shopping in Bed, Bath and Beyond the other day for a wedding gift. I love this store. I can always find a necessity that we need for our house (I should point out that Josh's definition of necessity and mine are quite different). Unfortunately for Josh, I was shopping alone.

Now I will say, that as a couple, we very rarely buy anything without consulting first with each other. (In Josh's case: we go home, check out consumer reports, read reviews online,  mull it over for 4 months, and then go back to purchase the item... whether or not that is a Wentzism is still being debated).

So this item, that I had to have, was a picture of a tree. If you looked straight at it, then the season was spring. If you move to the left, then it changes to fall. If you look to the right, then it changes to winter. Pretty amazing, huh? I figured Josh would love it. I mean the guy likes trees and he loves fall and spring (he's not crazy about winter, but I figured he could just close his eyes when it came to that season). I even contemplated getting it for his birthday; although, he's accused me in the past of getting him birthday/Christmas gifts that are more for me than him. Keeping that in mind, I bought it, not for his birthday, but as a "surprise it's Tuesday" kind of thing.

He didn't hate it. He didn't love it. He definitely didn't agree that it was a necessity. And he didn't know where we would put it. We tried 5 different spots in our house. It never looked quite right. Finally we decided that the best place for it is in our living room. All we have to do is get rid of the entertainment center, buy a couch, and put the picture over it. Easy solution. So now we are furniture shopping. Be sure to visit us in 4 months, so you can sit on our couch and admire our picture (although not at the same time)

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=16250384&RN=699&

1 comment:

  1. I like that picture. But do I like it enough to re-arrange and entire living room and spend $400? Hmmm....no. Hang on, let me look at it again. Wow, look at those rolling green hills that Kentucky is known for. And the lush, open space nestled in this delightfully cozy meadow really reminds us all of simpler times. Maybe this really is worth the additional time, effort, and money you've had to put in. What's that Common Sense police? It's not? Are you sure?? Did you notice that it changes seasons?!?! You did. Shucks. Well good effort Laura, you'll get 'em next time :)

    ReplyDelete